Events & Media
On June 3, 2023
10am – 4pm
Book Festival in Escondido, CA
The San Diego Public Library is proud to sponsor the 2022 Showcase, featuring published works by San Diego’s most talented authors. The event is live and in-person! We will be featuring a stunning collection of display cabinets filled with locally authored books from several different genres. The display will be available for public browsing for the entire month of February, afterwards the books will be prepared to circulate for one year. Books will also be featured in an online exhibit.
FOR THE MEDIA, PRESS, & PUBLICITY INQUIRIES
Here are a few reasons your customers will want to buy
The Darklands: A Melanesian Experience:
- The book examines the uncanny culture of Melanesia, which is a very unique yet often not talked about region of the world. It also looks at its history starting with its discovery by Captain Cook in the 18th Century.
- Interwoven throughout the book are some of the author’s adventures while serving as a volunteer archivist throughout the region over the past twelve years.
- The book also utilizes experiences and observations from acclaimed literary authors who have brought the people and the culture of the Melanesia islands to life particularly in the 19th and 20th Centuries.
- Fans of legends, supernatural beings, and haunting places will enjoy delving into the mysterious realms of the sorcerers, cannibals, headhunters and ghosts.
- The book has an underlining story of how the “Melanesian Way of Life” has been compromised by colonial governments, missionaries, and Europeans who desired to exploit the islands, and the Melanesian people’s struggle to regain some of their traditional beliefs and customs.
- Written during the Covid-19 pandemic quarantine, the book shares insights on how the world changed from the West to the Melanesian islands.